The Old Higher Lighthouse is a disused lighthouse on the Isle of Portland, Dorset, England. The lighthouse is situated on the west side of Portland, and at the higher part of Portland Bill - known as Branscombe Hill. The lighthouse, its four cottages and boundary walls have been Grade II Listed since September 1978. Close to the lighthouse is the NCI Portland Bill Lookout Station.
The Old Higher Lighthouse was opened on 29 September 1716 and was rebuilt in 1869. It worked in tandem with the nearby Old Lower Lighthouse, which was built at the same time. The Old Higher Lighthouse was the first lighthouse in Britain to be fitted with Argand Lens, and was the first in the world to have a true reflector. The remaining rebuilt version of the lighthouse seen today was built in 1869.
Photographer: Andy Kench